|Gen. Toshiya Okabe (Image: Wiki Commons)|
TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The Ground Self-Defense Force's chief of staff has decided to resign following allegations of a coverup of logs that recorded the daily activities of Japanese ground troops serving as U.N. peacekeepers in South Sudan, a government source said Thursday.
Gen. Toshiya Okabe declined to comment Thursday morning on whether he intends to step down. He was among top officials who decided not to reveal the existence of the logs, which the Defense Ministry had previously said were discarded, according to other government sources.
The development came as the Defense Ministry continues to be rattled by a series of media reports over the alleged coverup, which is said to have also involved Defense Minister Tomomi Inada. Inada has denied the allegations.
The ministry has conducted an internal probe into the scandal. Preparations are under way to announce the outcome Friday.
Read the full story at The Mainichi