WASHINGTON, June 29 (Yonhap) -- The U.S. Defense Department has put together revised military options for North Korea and is ready to present them to President Donald Trump, a news report said Thursday.
The options will be presented if the North conducts an underground nuclear or ballistic missile test that indicates the regime has made significant progress towards developing a weapon that could attack the U.S., CNN reported, citing two unidentified military officials.
National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster also confirmed that military options had been prepared, it said.
"What we have to do is prepare all options because the president has made clear to us that he will not accept a nuclear power in North Korea and a threat that can target the United States and target the American population," McMaster was quoted as saying during remarks at a Washington think tank.
McMaster also said that the North's threat is "much more immediate now."
"We can't repeat the same failed approach of the past," he said. "The president has directed us to not do that and to prepare a range of options, including a military option, which nobody wants to take."
Read the full story at YonhapNews