08 May 2017

News Story: Duterte worried over Bangsamoro peace process

Philippines President Duterte
By Edith Regalado

DAVAO CITY , Philippines  – President Duterte admitted he is a bit worried that nothing will come out of the peace talks with both the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) seeking to bring lasting peace to the Bangsamoro areas. 

“Kaya pati ako, ‘di naman kinabahan (I’m not really bothered) but I’m a little bit worried that nothing will come out of this,” he told policemen of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao during a visit to their headquarters in Parang, Maguindanao Friday afternoon. 

Duterte explained that he has been talking to both the MILF and the MNLF to address their concerns and eventually come up with a comprehensive peace accord for all the concerned parties in the south. 

“I am talking to the MI pati (and) MN but apparently you’d notice nag-aagawan sila ng kampo ngayon (they are fighting over camps). So I’m at a loss even. I was very optimistic before but I’m a bit pessimistic now. He is keeping his silence, but he talks to me in private,” the President said, referring to MNLF chairman Nur Misuari.

The President said the concerns of the parties in the peace process in the south were legitimate grievances, which government is trying to resolve.

Read the full story at PhilStar