10 January 2017

News Story: (Philippines) Leni backers plotting to oust Rody? Palace sets probe

By Alexis Romero

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang is looking into leaked emails about the supposed plan of supporters of Vice President Leni Robredo to create dissent against President Duterte that surfaced in social networking sites recently.

Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said the Palace is taking the matter seriously but would not pass judgment until the information contained in the emails have been validated.

“It has really become a national issue. I said even before it becomes a national issue, as one of the President’s men, I am concerned about this. I need to know about the veracity of the reports,” Andanar told radio dzBB yesterday.

Andanar said National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. is also concerned about the alleged emails and is ready to have them investigated.

“I said Secretary Jun (Esperon), it is already viral. It can go two ways. Either they are full of truths or full of lies. I have to pass the documents so he can look at it,” he said.  

“Secretary Esperon said he is also worried but we in the government are not in the business of jumping into conclusion without investigating.”

Asked if Robredo was part of the email conversations, Andanar replied: “I don’t think so. I did not see anything there indicating that she was part of it. Allegedly, her staff (was part of the conversation) but we don’t want to say that for now.”

Andanar said it is too early to tell whether Robredo was part of the plot to undermine the President.

“We will see. I don’t want to jump the gun. I don’t want to be judgmental. It is under investigation. We will do everything to solve this matter,” he said.

Read the full story at The Philippine Star