03 June 2011

AUS: Minister for Defence to visit Singapore for the 10th Anniversary Shangri-La Dialogue

I will visit Singapore on Saturday 4 June and Sunday 5 June for the International Institute for Strategic Studies 10th Anniversary Asia Security Dialogue: The Shangri-La Dialogue.

This is my fist visit to Singapore as Defence Minister, and the first time I have attended the Shangri-La Dialogue.

I will be joined at the Dialogue by the Secretary of the Department of Defence, Dr Ian Watt, and the Chief of the Defence Force designate, Lieutenant General David Hurley.

I look forward to participating in the Shangri La Dialogue and the plenary session discussion on Asia’s New Distribution of Power and its Implications.

The Dialogue will discuss the defence and security implications of the historic shift in influence to the Asia-Pacific region and the role of regional architecture in managing shared security challenges.

In addition to participating in the Dialogue, I look forward to participating in bilateral talks with my Defence Ministerial counterparts on the range of defence and security issues of mutual interest.

The Dialogue is attended by Defence Ministers across the world and is an opportunity to strengthen Australia’s bilateral defence relationships, progress defence cooperation initiatives and enhance regional security mechanisms.