SEOUL, Sept. 22 (Yonhap) -- The top diplomats of South Korea and the United States have briefly met in New York and discussed North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's threat to take the highest-level action in response to the U.S. president's recent speech, the foreign ministry here said Friday.
Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson "exchanged primary analysis and opinions of Kim's statement ... and agreed to carry out further close study of it," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a press release.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un vowed to consider "with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hard-line countermeasure in history," in a statement released in English by his country's state-run news media.
The words were in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's threat to "totally destroy" the North Korean regime during his address at the United Nations General Assembly earlier in the week.
North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho, who is currently visiting New York, later said the action might be the testing of a hydrogen bomb in the Pacific Ocean.
Read the full story at YonhapNews