|USAF Secretary Heather Wilson (Image: Wiki Commons)|
By Lee Haye-ah
WASHINGTON, Aug. 25 (Yonhap) -- U.S. Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said Friday that Washington remains committed to defending South Korea against North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile threats.
The reaffirmation came after top U.S. military officials, including Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joe Dunford and the chiefs of the U.S. Pacific and Strategic commands, traveled to South Korea amid escalating tensions with Pyongyang.
"The United States stands firmly with its allies and our commitment to the collective self-defense of the Korean Peninsula," Wilson told reporters at the Pentagon.
Tensions flared earlier this month when U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to unleash "fire and fury" on Pyongyang, and the regime responded with threats to fire ballistic missiles toward Guam.
Read the full story at YonhapNews