|Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)|
By Jaime Laude
MANILA, Philippines - Government security forces deployed in the battle for Marawi City are targeting to clear 500 more buildings still occupied by the remaining Maute-Islamic State terrorists, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said yesterday.
“Yesterday (Tuesday) we were able to clear seven more buildings,” AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said.
Padilla also reported the troops recovered a kilo of shabu from one of the buildings previously occupied by the extremists.
According to Padilla, the troops are fighting an estimated 50 remaining gunmen, mostly snipers, who are hiding in the remaining buildings and structures in the city.
With government forces right inside the main battle area, operations are being done methodically so as to avoid unnecessary combat casualties.
“The recovery of shabu only showed that the terrorists are using shabu to keep them awake and alert at night,” Padilla said.
As of Tuesday, the AFP reported that 460 terrorists, 111 soldiers and 45 civilians have been killed in more than two months of fighting.
The continuing ground assault has also resulted in the clearing of 17 buildings in the main battle area, including seven cleared by the troops on Tuesday.
Read the full story at PhilStar