India's Director General of Military Operations Lt General A K Bhatt took up the issue of civilians being targeted by Pakistani forces along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, for the second time in the last four days.
New Delhi (Sputnik) — The Indian Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt General A K Bhatt called on Pakistani DGMO Major General Sahir Shamshad Mirza and raised the matter.
Earlier on Tuesday, Pakistani forces had fired on several schools in the Nowshera sector of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir in which more than 200 schoolchildren were trapped. India has also alleged that army vehicles which were carrying out the rescue mission came under heavy shelling from the Pakistani side.
“DGMO asked Pakistani DGMO to exercise strict control over his troops and instruct them to refrain from any nefarious activities,” the statement from the Defense Ministry said.
“Indian Army as a professional force takes due care to avoid targeting of civilians and Pakistani Army was expected to do the same,” Indian DGMO said to his Pakistani counterpart, the statement said.
During the telephonic conversation, Bhatt also raised the issue of continuous ceasefire violations by Pakistani forces.
Earlier on Monday, Pakistani DGMO had called on Indian DGMO and blamed India for violating ceasefire norms during which India stated that it reserves the right to retaliate when under attack from Pakistani forces.
According to the local administration, dozens of houses including government buildings and schools have been damaged and hundreds of livestock animals have died in the shelling in Nowshera sector. Thousands of people from Nowshera and Manjakote in Rajouri district and Balakote and Mendhar in Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir have migrated to safer places.
India and Pakistan blame each other for the ceasefire violations in which civilians from both sides have been affected.
This story first appeared on Sputnik & is reposted here with permission.