South Korean military officials deliberately withheld information from the president about the arrival of new launchers for a controversial US anti-missile system, his office said Wednesday.
Documents submitted to Moon Jae-In shortly after he came to office this month were redacted to remove mention of four new rocket launchers for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.
The South agreed last year to deploy the missile interceptor system to guard against threats from nuclear-armed North Korea, despite angry opposition from China, which believes THAAD could undermine its own military capability.
Two missile launchers were already in place in the southern county of Seongju, and the existence of four more had widely been suspected but not announced.
However, top brass who briefed Moon's national security adviser last week deliberately excised references to any new launchers, or to the total number in-country, Moon's spokesman said.
"These parts... were included in the original briefing report written by a working-level official but later deleted by his supervisors," Yoon Young-Chan told reporters.
All military officials involved in the production of the report admitted these key parts were removed in the editing process, Yoon added.
Read the full story at SpaceDaily