By Patricia Lourdes Viray
MANILA, Philippines — Materials recovered by the military in Marawi City revealed that the attack of the Maute terror group had been planned even before the government forces' operation to arrest Abu Sayyaf subleader Isnilon Hapilon.
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff Gen. Eduardo Año earlier said that the fighting in Marawi broke out when troops attacked a hideout of Hapilon.
AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said that the military has recovered high-powered firearms and materials that can be used to construct improvised explosive devices in the area.
"The place has also been revealing so many voluminous materials of plans that are indicating that many of these activities prior to our entry to the area have been planned long ago," Padilla said in a telephone interview with ANC's Headstart Wednesday morning.
The military is yet to assess and study the recovered materials in the area, Padilla said.
"Indeed there was planning that was involved even prior to our entry to arrest Hapilon... when we got information that he was holed up in the area," the military spokesman said.
Read the full story at PhilStar