By Alexis Romero
MANILA, Philippines — The 2,000 combatants offered by Moro National Liberation Front founder Nur Misuari will not join the campaign against Maute terrorists in Marawi City, President Rodrigo Duterte said Wednesday.
Speaking to Army troopers in Tacurong City, Duterte said it would not be good to pit Moros against fellow Moros.
"Nur and I talked once… He offered to send 2,000 of his men. I said ‘Wait, not now. Not now Nur,’” Duterte said.
“It’s not good to be fighting if they do not realize what it’s all about. A Moro against the Moro. Let us make them understand first what this is all about,” he added.
Security forces have been fighting the Maute militants in Marawi City since May 23. The terrorists, who are said to have ties with the extremist Islamic State, had launched attacks in the city, prompting Duterte to declare martial law in Mindanao.
Duterte previously said he was ready to recruit MNLF members and other former rebels to the military if the clashes in Marawi City drag on.
Read the full story at PhilStar