SEOUL, June 14 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Defense Minister Han Min-koo on Wednesday called a recent drone infiltration, presumably by North Korea, a "grave" violation of the armistice agreement, saying his ministry will lodge a complaint through the Seoul-based U.N. Command (UNC).
"That a North Korean vehicle crossed the military demarcation line and flew into South Korean territory is a grave violation of the armistice agreement," Han told a parliamentary session. The accord halted the 1950-53 Korean War, but has left the two Koreas technically at war.
"After the end of an investigation into it, we will formally take issue with it through the UNC and demand the North take measures to address it," he added. The UNC oversees the enforcement of the armistice agreement.
Seoul's military officials said Tuesday that a suspected North Korean drone recently spied on a U.S. missile defense system rolled out in the South's southern county. A local resident discovered it on a mountain near the heavily fortified inter-Korean border last week.
During the National Assembly session, Han also said the North's unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) can turn into weapons.
"As reported by the media, (the drones) can be equipped with a firing system, or chemical and biological substances to inflict damage (on the South) at will," the minister said.
Read the full story at YonhapNews