18 May 2017

News Story: ‘No peace if NPA keeps attacking government forces’

President Duterte
By Edith Regalado and Alexis Romero

DAVAO CITY, Philippines – There will be no peace deal with the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front (CPP-NDF) if its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA), continues to kill government troops, President Duterte has said. 

“For as long as they are killing government security forces I will not sign anything. There is nothing I can do about it. I have to protect my soldiers. I am the commander-in-chief,” Duterte said upon arrival at the Davao International Airport early yesterday morning.

The government and the CPP-NDF peace panels have yet to resume talks.

Ayusin mo. Matagal na eh (Fix it. It’s taking too long),” the President told chief peace negotiator and Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.

Duterte said his offer to CPP founder Jose Maria Sison remains and he guarantees the communist leader’s safety should he decide to come home.

“So my offer to Sison stands. He can come here in peace. I will guarantee safety and I will even underwrite his hospitalization. I will not arrest him,” the President said.

Duterte said Sison is sick and that instead of arresting him, he would arrange for his medical treatment.

It’s not right to pick a fight with people who are sick and helpless like Sison, he added.

Read the full story at PhilStar