By Sayed Sharif Amiri
The Afghan Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Monday announced it had sacked at least 24 officers over last month’s deadly attack by the Taliban against the 209 Shaheen Army Corps military base in northern Balkh province.
At least 250 mostly unarmed soldiers were killed in the attack. They had been at Friday prayers and in the canteen when the insurgents, disguised as fellow soldiers, stormed the highly fortified base in Dehdadi district.
Another 65 soldiers were wounded in the attack which shocked the entire nation.
However, the masterminds behind the attack have not been tracked down – an issue that has angered the public. But a defense ministry official said they were trying to get to the bottom of the plot in order to prosecute those responsible.
The investigations into the incident are continuing and justice will be served against the suspects, a defense ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said.
“All those who were inside the base are under investigation, if they are found guilty, they will be prosecuted,” added Waziri.
Read the full story at TOLOnews