By Karim Amini
As heavy battles continue in parts of Kunduz province in the country’s north, the commander of NATO’s Resolute Support mission and U.S forces in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, on Thursday said in an address to Afghan troops that foreign soldiers have been sent to Kunduz to defend the province and to suppress militants in coordination with the Afghan Security and Defense Forces.
“American forces that are here are committed to the defense of Kunduz to the people of Kunduz as they are to all of the people in Afghanistan. As we are here today, American Special Forces are with Afghan commandos helping in the defense of Kunduz and taking the fight to the enemy,” he said.
He assured that Kunduz will not fall to insurgents this year.
“Last year, each of these attempts failed and they (militants) failed because of the brave Afghan soldiers especially the commandos and Special Forces who fought very hard to defend Kunduz and our commitment is that this year the same will be the case; Kunduz will not fall and because of the improvements of the Afghan security forces, we expect to see better performance,” he stated.
At the same event, acting Defense Minister Tariq Shah Bahrami said they have new plans on hand which will help improve security in Kunduz.
Read the full story at TOLOnews