21 March 2017

News Story: Duterte vows brutal drug war

President Duterte
By Christina Mendez

34 killed in 11 days – PNP

MANILA, Philippines -  Despite facing an impeachment complaint and efforts to bring him before the International Criminal Court (ICC) for summary killings, President Duterte vows that his war on drugs will be sustained, and it will be “brutal.”

In a press conference at the Davao International Airport yesterday, Duterte said he could not be stopped from pursuing his drug war despite the impeachment complaint filed against him by the Magdalo party-list and efforts to hale him before the ICC.

“Listen to me: I will deliver my promises even if it will cost me my life, my honor and the presidency. I can let these go, but I will comply with my promise,” he said.

“The drive against corruption, the drive against criminality and drugs will resume and it will continue and it will be brutal if they do not understand the role of government. Suppression includes all,” he added.

He shrugged off the impeachment complaint and the move to bring him to the ICC.

 “I welcome both developments. They can do their worst; I can do better in my performance as a worker in government. This is a democracy,” Duterte said before leaving for Myanmar and Thailand for official visits.

 “But I will not be intimidated or I shall not be stopped by just, what – an International  Criminal Court? Impeachment?

“If it is part of my destiny, it is my destiny to go… that’s all about it, fate. Maybe, God gave me just two years, or six months, or one year and a half to be president of this country, fine. But let it not be said that I did not fulfill my challenges. That is what life is all about, honoring your commitment to your fellowmen,” he added.

Duterte reiterated his stand against illegal drugs, saying he does not care about drug criminals losing their lives during legitimate operations as long as no member of the police or the military is killed.

Read the full story at PhilStar