Manila not brave or powerful enough, and existing treaty, lack of mutual trust and compatibility issues make option of buying Chinese arms ‘unrealistic’
Kristin Huang
Kristin Huang
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte may have said he wants to buy arms from China, but he is simply playing China off against the United States rather than presenting a realistic plan, analysts say.
And the fallout from an international tribunal ruling on the South China Sea is far from over, they added.
Duterte told military officers in Manila on Tuesday that he would not allow government forces to conduct joint patrols of disputed waters near the South China Sea with foreign powers, and that he was considering acquiring defence equipment from Russia and China.
Last week, he said he wanted all American special forces out of the southern Philippines, where they have been advising local troops battling Muslim extremists, but the US said no official order was received.
The acid-tongued Duterte has had an uneasy relationship with the US recently and is also trying to mend ties with China frayed by the ruling by the Permanent Court of Arbitration, which ruled against China’s territorial claims to the South China Sea.
Read the full story at SCMP
