12 August 2016

News Story: Pakistan does not rule out foreign hand in Quetta blast

ISLAMABAD, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan said on Thursday that involvement of foreign elements could not be ruled out in a deadly suicide bombing in the southwestern city of Quetta this week that killed over 70 people.

Islamic State and a breakaway faction of the Afghan Taliban had claimed responsibility for the attack that prompted a series of high-level security meetings to go after the hideouts of the militant groups.

The army said the security forces have launched a "combing operation" in the suburbs of Quetta following the Aug. 8 attack.

No one has so far been arrested. However Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali told the parliament on Wednesday that security officials have got "some clues" that have been shared with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. He also claimed to reach the perpetrators soon.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Nafees Zakariya said there could be possibility of foreign involvement, but he did not directly blame any country for the Quetta carnage.

Read the full story at Xinhua