16 August 2016

News Story: Fighting continues in Afghanistan's Helmand as 32 more Talibans killed

LASHKAR GAH, Afghanistan, Aug.15 (Xinhua) -- Fierce fighting has been continuing in parts of the restive Helmand province as 32 more Taliban fighters have been killed in the beleaguered province over the past 24 hours, spokesman for provincial government Omar Zawak said Monday.

"A total of 32 Taliban rebels including three commanders have been killed in Nawa, Garmsir and Nad Ali districts of Helmand province over the past 24 hours," Zawak told reporters here.

According to the official, fighting has been continuing in parts of the restive province to eliminate Taliban militants and ensure lasting peace there.

The official, however, avoided commenting on the possible casualties of security forces over the period.

Up to 25 militants had been killed in air strikes on Saturday night.

Helmand with Lashkar Gah as its capital 555 km south of national capital Kabul city has been regarded as Taliban hotbed in the conflict-hit Afghanistan.

Read the full story at Xinhua