JALALABAD, Afghanistan, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- At least four civilians were killed and 27 wounded amid clashes between security forces and militants of Islamic State (IS) in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, said the provincial government on Friday.
The clashes erupted on early hours of Thursday after IS militants launched multiple attacks against joint checkpoints of security forces and government-backed local anti-IS fighters in Pass Pachir and Azikheel localities of Pachir Wagam district.
"The sporadic clashes have been continuing as of Friday noon in Pachir Wagam. Some 54 IS militants died following airstrikes in Azikheel area Friday morning. And 22 fighters of IS lost their lives during Thursday's combat in Pass Pachir locality," the provincial government said in a statement.
"Four innocent civilians had been killed and over 27 civilians injured since the clashes broke out. The IS militants set on fire 17 houses in the targeted villages," the statement said, adding the number of causalities was likely to rise as clashes were continuing there.
Read the full story at Xinhua
