PYONGYANG, Sept. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday successfully detonated a hydrogen bomb capable of being carried by an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), official media announced.
The DPRK Central Television said the test was carried out at the order of top leader Kim Jong Un, who chaired a meeting of the standing committee of the political bureau of the Workers' Party of Korea on the Korean Peninsula situation and decided to conduct the H-bomb test.
The TV report showed still photos of the document signed by Kim ordering the test, which was the sixth nuclear test by the DPRK so far.
The test, which came amid simmering tensions on the Korean Peninsula, runs counter to relevant UN Security Council resolutions and the goal of denuclearizing the peninsula.
After the nuclear test, South Korean President Moon Jae-in ordered a pursuit of the "most powerful sanctions" on the DPRK with the international community, according to the Yonhap news agency.
U.S. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster spoke with his South Korean counterpart, Chung Eui-yong, for about 20 minutes in an emergency phone call about the nuclear test, to discuss the possibility of deploying U.S. military defense devices in South Korea.
Chung said South Korea will also seek new U.N. Security Council sanctions to "completely isolate" the DPRK.
Read the full story at Xinhua