17 May 2017

News Story: Philippines' Duterte says no peace agreement with rebels until attacks stop

MANILA, May 16 (Xinhua) -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Tuesday said he would not agree or sign any peace agreement with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) unless the local rebels put a stop to their ambushes and attacks, ahead of their fifth round of peace talks that will resume in the Netherlands on May 27.

The president, in a press conference after arriving from his official visit to Cambodia and China, said that as the commander-in-chief, he had to assure the safety of his soldiers.

"For me, for as long as they are killing government security forces I will not sign anything. I cannot do anything. I have to protect my soldier. I am the Commander-in-Chief," Duerte said.

He also reiterated his call on CPP founding chairman and peace talk panel consultant Jose Maria Sison to return to the country along with his offer to shoulder his hospital expenses.

Read the full story at Xinhua